Monday, January 28, 2008

A dollar fifty

My wallet is never empty. Sure, there typically isn't much in there, 3 dollars right now I think, but it's never empty. I have $1.50 stored away just in case. Just in case of what? I don't know exactly what it will do, but I do know exactly why it ended up there. One day this summer I was at Best Buy getting Guitar Hero. My mom and a friend of hers were at Target (if you don't know the area they are right next to each other). It was nice out so my mom and her friend were sitting on a bench waiting for me. Just about the time I got to them a man stopped me and asked for some money. The common beggar. Not exactly. He asked for a quarter, not some random "can I have some change", a quarter. He also said it was for the bus and that he was just a quarter short. I looked at my mom and she gave me "the look" people typically get when someone on the street approaches them for money. I told him I didn't have a quarter. In reality I didn't have a quarter, but my mom surely did in her purse and my car was with in 30 feet from me and I knew there was all sorts of change in there. "Nope, I don't have one". I don't remember what the mans face really looked like but I will never forget the look he gave me. It wasn't angry, complacent, or any of the looks you typically get when you tell the guy on the street "no", it was despair,disappointment, and heartache all in one. My heart sank. He walked away from the guy standing there that didn't have a spare quarter but managed to gather up $80+ bucks for a video game. I left my mom and went to my car started to drive away. That guy's face was just tearing at me. I turned my car around, made a couple of laps around the lot and surrounding stores to see if I could find this guy anywhere, no such luck. I don't know if that guy really only wanted a quarter, if he was actually trying to catch a bus, or anything else, but I learned something...... that doesn't really matter. From that day since I keep a dollar and fifty cents in my wallet, always. If you listen to Christian radio there is a song called "21st time" and it really made me think. What if that was Jesus? What if I passed up that opportunity? Life lesson learned and God nailed that one home hard. In the whole scheme of things how much is giving out 25 cents from time to time going to hurt, I waste triple that on a regular basis for candy bars. Sometimes God is very subtle and if you aren't in tune you'll miss it, sometimes he hits you with a sledgehammer with no choice but to notice. I don't know what that dollar fifty is going to do some day, but I know exactly what it's for.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Conviction is quite clear to me when I plainly ignore Jesus in the eyes of the homeless or needy. Thanks for the reminder that anything helps, and it is the love expressed in the action that matters, not so much the coins given.