Friday, May 9, 2008

Casting Crowns and an email that made my day

I got to see Casting Crowns this past weekend. My parents went along with Andrew and I think we all had a great time. I know my dad was a little uncomfortable in the seats since is 6'3" with not so great knees. He actually got up and sat somewhere else so he could stretch his legs out. I thought he actually left because it was too loud which wouldn't have surprised me. Dad is not a fan of anything that is loud enough to make the ground shake. I on the other hand thought it was awesome. Leeland played before Casting Crowns and they are very good too. I would recommend both bands to anyone interested in Christian rock. The whole "point" of the concert was to make know World Vision and what they do to bring clean water to places all over the world, particularly Africa. Seeing video of the trip that the band took to Africa brought back great memories and rekindled a desire to go back. It's been a full year since I went to Uganda and I'm starting to feel that is time to head back. Maybe something long term, but I'll get to that later. One of the most powerful and interesting parts of the concert was near the end when all the band members from each band came out on stage and took turns praying for everyone in the audience. It was just amazing. I have a hard time staying focused during long prayers especially when not said by me so I knew it was something special because it wasn't a problem at all. The whole thing was just energizing and a good call to focus. Great experience.

Earlier that day Andrew and I went to a church in Louisville. It's called Sojourn and it was great. Young and alive. I like the people at my parents church and the pastor is very good, but it just seems very old. I like seeing poeple excited about Christ. As a kid up until college I thought of church as this place that was supposed to be quiet and that a relationship with God is a very formal thing. Maybe how you would act if you visiting the President or something like that. No jokes, very proper that sort of thing. Now when I think about what it actually means to have that relationship why would you not "make a JOYOUS NOISE". It should be something to get excited about! I like having a loud band with people singing with passion. I guess I just like the young crowd because....... I'm part of that crowd. I plan to go back there every Sunday, minus this coming Sunday be cause of Mother's Day and family gatherings.

If you look to the right of the page you will see a picture of Francis and me at the equator. I had not heard from Francis since I'd returned from Uganda and earlier this week I got an email from him. It made my day. He is a great guy and I hope that some day some how I'll get to see him again. He is currently in Iraq apparently working with the US Army guarding people. Who those people are I have no idea. It was great to hear from him and hopefully I'll be able to stay in better contact with him. It's been a great couple of weeks.

No comments: